
This last week, we had the opportunity to view nature first had and to learn some important life lessons. Ezra brought home a caterpillar from pre-school that we got to watch turn into a crystalist and then emerge into a Painted Lady Butterfly. It was a neat process and I only wish that I had taken pictures of each phase. The butterfly emerged from the crystalist on Ezra's birthday! We really thought it was going to die because it really didn't move the first day and it's wings were bent and deformed. We let it loose the next day and it flew away. What a miracle!

Dylan and his scout group found a baby bird on the ground. A kid had been riding his bike in the neighborhood and found a nest on the ground with two baby birds and was running home with it and dumped one out. It was the tiniest thing I've ever seen. It's eyes weren't even open. I knew it was going to die, but I just couldn't leave it to fend for it's self, so we brought it home to try our best at keeping it alive. It lasted a day and half.

So the lessons we've learned are about life and death and honestly...DO NOT take a baby bird home or pick it up! The other lesson we learned is that it is against the law to keep wild birds in captivity without proper state and federal permits. After googling how to care for a baby bird, I found this disclaimer on more than one web-site.


























1 comment:
A day and a half...that's not bad! Did it live long enough to try the baby food??
Post a Comment